To support the recovery of the tourism sector after the corona crisis, the Flemish Stimulus Program was created by the Flemish Government. The purpose of this 30 million euro program is to help the tourism sector (with a focus on tourist lodging and attractions) to get back on its feet. In concrete terms, more breathing space is given to companies in the sector to make much-needed investments so that they can start again successfully.
1. Who can apply for the support?
The aid may be applied for by companies belonging to the following categories :
- Tourist accommodation notified by March 1, 2021, according to the lodging decree of February 5, 2016
- Youth Hostels which are recognized by March 1, 2021, according to the Tourism for All Decree of July 18, 2003 (category A,B or C)
- Hostels notified by March 1, 2021, according to the lodging decree of February 5, 2016
- Touristic attractions
2. What can I apply for support for?
The following expenses are eligible:
- Health measures
These are investments that make the lodging or attraction as safe as possible for the visitor and that prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus, for example investments in:
- (improved) ventilation
- better circulation and distribution of visitor flows
- adapting spaces according to the distribution of visitors
- hygienic and protective measures against coronavirus
- Ecological Sustainability
These are investments that commit to reducing fixed energy costs or that contribute to achieving climate targets and reducing the ecological footprint, for example investments in reusing wastewater, switching or using renewable energy sources,...
These are investments that are committed to increasing the digital development of the company, for example, investments in:
- Digitization of the booking or reservation system
- Automate and digitize customer check-in
- Digitalization of communication and promotion to the customer
- digitization in the context of a better visitor experience
These are expenses related to the professionalization of the company, for example investments in:
- sustainable repositioning of the company, such as adjusting the business model or tourism product
- expertise gathering
- improvement of customer service, such as training of (reception) staff
- studies related to the above measures.
Project proposals that envision a broad vision and integrated approach that deploys on one or more of these measures score better than proposals that deploy on separate elements within one measure or on multiple measures, separately.
3. Are all expenses eligible?
- The sum of the eligible costs must be at least 5,000 euros.
- Expenses under 250 euros are not eligible.
- Expenditures made from March 15, 2020 are eligible, provided the project has not ended by March 31, 2021.
- The following investments are not eligible :
- costs for the conversion of private parts that are not publicly accessible
- expenses for which funding has already been requested or obtained through another aid measure
- expenditures made and works performed before March 15, 2020
- personnel costs, volunteer allowances and staff travel expenses
- purchase of land and buildings
- purchase and lease of means of transportation for personal or shared tourist use.
4. How much is the support?
Project expenditures are pre-funded for 100% through:
- an interest-free loan for 75% of expenses, repayable within five years
- a non-refundable grant for 25% of expenses
For youth residences, hostels, and partners in the Everyone Earns Vacation network, prefunding is distributed differently:
- an interest-free loan for 60% of expenses, repayable within five years
- a non-refundable 40% grant of expenses
The total support can be up to 200,000 euros.
The sum of the support received by the company since March 13, 2020 within the Temporary European Framework related to the corona crisis together with the requested support within this program may not exceed EUR 1,800,000. Examples of support already received are: Flemish protection mechanism, nuisance premium, bridging right for the self-employed, ...
Funding is provided until the reserved support budget per category is exhausted. If the total budget is insufficient, priority is given to aid applicants whose main activity is operating the tourist attraction, accommodation, hostel or youth hostel. This is checked on the basis of the completed NACE code of the main activity.
5. How can I apply for the support?
Applications can be through March 31, 2021 be submitted via a digital application form.
The application process must be completed in one sitting until submission. It is not possible to complete the application at a later time.
A company can only submit one application.
The supported projects must be realized by July 1, 2022.
Is your company eligible for this and do you have any questions about it? Do not hesitate to contact our subsidy expert.